Having just bought an old Contender I thought it would be useful to collate together all the tips and hints I gather in terms of rigging. So here goes
- Measured between Aft Mast and Transom (excluding overlap)
- Lowers Off, Rig Tension On.
- Minimum 3050mm (recommended)
- Keeps rig weight as far back as possible:
- good for keeping bow up;
- squaring out main sail;
- Measured between lower edge of the measurement band at the top of the mast and the transom crown.
- Lowers and Rig tension on.
- ~6500mm (+/- a few cm)
Set Mast Straight Port/Starboard at this point.
Spreaders (Starting Point Set Up)
- Length 430mm
- Deflection 110mm (measured between mast track and straight line between spreader tips.
- 20mm – Good for light to strong for 80Kg Helm.
- Heavier Helm – zero.
- 70 Kg Helm – 50mm
- Lowers – starting point
- Spreaders – leave initially
- Just taut – forestay level horizontal.
- Measure fore/aft bend halfway up with lever fully on.
- 115kg to 150kg depending on Mast and Helm Weight.
Trapeze Set Up
Trapeze Ring Height
You need the bottom of the trapeze ring to be just at deck height. You will probably prefer to be able to pull yourself about a meter higher than that. [Ref: Soren@Facebook Group].
Upper Trapeze Wire
If you are considering replacing the trapeze wires with rope then Spectra is recommended. [Ref: Soren@Facebook Group].